The most depressing day of the year is today. How’s that for a happy Monday, back to work, after the holidays thought?
I have to admit, there was a part of me feeling a bit of the Monday blues coming on over the weekend.
So I did a quick self-examination.
Who was I getting dressed for work today? Was it the worker amongst workers I have trained to be? Or the self-absorbed, self-important asshole I can revert to with lack of sleep?
I asked myself a few questions to get a reality check:
- Am I bringing my own agenda to the job? Or am I bringing an attitude of service?
- Do I believe and convey that my answer is the only right answer? Or am I open and willing to listen to other ideas? Or fears?
- Do I have an attitude of Holier Than Thou? Or am I embracing and open to all ideas?
- Do I have a sincere desire to be helpful? Or do I bring an attitude of self-importance?
- Am I here only for a pay check? Or do I have a sincere desire to be here?
- Am I motivated by self or service? Or am I motivated by what “you” think about me?
- Where is my ego in all of this? Did I check it at the door? Or am I using it as a shield?
- Am I talking at or with you? Am I present in our conversations? Are we collaborating? Or am I, once again, leading with my ego?
When I start to look at who got on the train today, and asked myself these questions, I was quickly able to see why I was the problem on this most depressing day of the year.
By the time my train reached its destination, a different Heather disembarked. This is the only Blue Monday I want to hear about today: